Sunday, November 15, 2009

FORE


Rocco Forte, both a person and a high end golf resort chain, has built a 45 hole golf resort across the Sciacca Bay from me. In fact, I can see the old plague tower (a tower used to look for ships that might be carrying the plague during the 1500's) and some of the hotel buildings from my terrace.

I was pretty interested in the building of the place, partly because I was a golfer for a while in the states, and partly because I like to see some nice development come to Sciacca. I did have some misgivings about the project. Particularly, it seems that it may get too hot here in the summer with too little water to have a good golf course. The proximity of the course to the sea could create some problems with course fertilizer leaching into the sea, hurting the fishing industry locally. Finally, I hoped that the resort would not be gated, making it difficult for guests to come in to Sciacca and see some of the sites, shop for ceramics, and have wonderful fresh fish dinners.

My friend Lutz and I went on a tour of the facility. It seems nice. That may sound like I am damning it with faint praise, but in fact, that is what I mean to do. It is nice. It is not wonderful. It is not (to my way of thinking) worth 810 Euro a night (1200 dollars a night) for a room, breakfast, and one round of golf (cart or caddy not included).

They do have a beautiful view of Capo San Marco (and my apartment), as well as a view inland of an old Castle that may have been used by royalty fleeing the incursions of Garibaldi in 1860 (see the classic movie Il Gattopardo, or The Leopard, which won a few Oscars and starred Claudia Cardinale).

However, having a course brown out after very little play, and during a relatively cool summer, makes me think that I did just about right in leaving my clubs in the states. If you want to come here, and you insist on golfing while you are here, check out their website first, and bring your wallet. Even though I toured the facility after a few rain storms, parts of the course were browned out, and parts still were unable to grow anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home